Do you love your morning coffee ritual? I adore mine. After my morning meditation I make a cup of Bulletproof coffee, pour it into a travel thermos and then I head out to work.
I make my morning coffee with mold free coffee beans, unsalted grass-fed butter (Kerry Gold is a great brand) and Brain Octane Oil. Blend everything together in a blender and I’ve got a rad cuppa coffee. This coffee recipe is directly from the Bulletproof Diet.
FYI, the Bulletproof lifestyle is not just a trend for the dudes. Ladies, don’t let the terms like biohacking and brain optimization scare you. Adding in Bulletproof coffee to your morning can elevate your mind and body to amazing new heights. By replacing breakfast with this fat-burning latte, you’re turning your body into a vibrant machine.
Start with Clean Coffee Beans
If you’ve experienced brain fog in the morning and a general all over achy body feeling…a sugar-free latte in the morning may not be your best friend.
In the grand scheme of things, all coffee beans aren’t treated the same. According to the Bulletproof Diet book, low quality coffee beans contain some level of toxic molds and mycotoxins that get ground up and end up in your coffee to go. That doesn’t sound good to me. Studies link mycotoxins to brain damage, neuroimmune illnesses, weight gain, cancer, hypertension and other various health problems. – source
I purchase certified clean beans by Bulletproof that have been tested for mold contamination. These freshly grounded coffee beans taste bold, clean and fresh.
(Check out the list of Bulletproof coffee flavors below)
Benefits of Butter
Despite what most Americans have been taught growing up, the right kind of butter is actually a superfood. Good fats don’t make you fat. You’ll want to use grass-fed butter because not all butters are alike either! Grass-fed butter (not margarine) is rich in antioxidants and vitamins K, A, D and E. Grass-fed butter is also rich in omega-3s! How can you tell if butter is grass-fed or grain-fed? Rich yellow butter is from cows that were grass-fed. White butter is from grain-fed cows. The white color is a sign that the cows were malnourished. 🙁
Benefits of MCT Oil
To make Bulletproof coffee you’ll need MCT Oil too. MCT is short for medium chain triglycerides, which convert into fuel for your body. Brain Octane Oil is MCT in pure form that is odorless and it doesn’t cause upset stomach like most MCT oils can cause. A benefit of including Brain Octane oil is that it decreases the amount of fat that your body stores and it helps you burn fat quickly. It’s pretty awesome.
Drinking coffee combined with grass-fed butter and MCT oil has some generous benefits that include:
- Effortless weight loss by decreasing hunger and burning fat without depriving yourself of valuable cell-building nutrients
- Increased mental alertness and memory retention
- Slows down age-related mental decline
- Increases Serotonin, the brain’s happy hormone
- Clear thinking (Good bye foggy brain)
- Hormone balance
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- Increases metabolism
- Long lasting energy for throughout the day. No afternoon crash!
Bulletproof coffee is slowly rolling out to the store shelves. Super groovy and exciting, because before you could only purchase them online. In Chicago (where I am from), I found Bulletproof coffee beans at a local health foods store called Fruitful Yield.
In Chicago and looking for Bulletproof coffee to go? There are two places in the city where you can get it to go: Beatrix and High Vibe Café.
It took me forever to loosen the reins of my coffee shop purchases, and make my own coffee. After coming down from my city coffee shop highs, I’ve been craving a more sustainable and healthy coffee habit. I definitely still treat myself. But majority of my mornings I love to make my cuppa butter and coffee.
Waking up on a Saturday morning and curling up with a cup of Bulletproof coffee and book is just perfect.
Tips for transitioning into the Bulletproof Coffee and Butter lifestyle
- Buy a really cute mug and a travel mug. I love mugs from Anthrolpolgie and Cantigo has some fun colored travel mugs.
- Start out by making your own Bulletproof coffee on Saturday or Sunday. There is something magical about starting a new habit on a weekend. When I start a new habit on a weekend for some reason I feel empowered to stick with it longer.
- Get a Bulletproof buddy. If you know someone who has been trying the diet or who wants to try it, join forces!
- Know that your hormones will thank you. Seriously, Bulletproof coffee has been scientifically shown to burn fat, balance hormones and solve a lot of issues with brain fog and fatigue. Try it! If you cannot tolerate grass-fed butter try GHEE. If you’re looking for a vegan option, then swap out butter/ghee for Cacao butter. I wrote an entire post about the beautifying benefits of Cacao butter.
- Lastly, if you’re having trouble digesting the coffee, try taking a digestive enzyme beforehand.
Just remember this: It works when you work it.
Consistency with building any new habit is key. Show up everyday with the intention of being your best self and the rest will unfold naturally.
List of Ingredients to Make Bulletproof Coffee with Butter
- Bulletproof Coffee Beans:
- Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Unsalted Kerry Gold grass-fed butter (you can find this brand at most grocery stores)
- Optional add-ins: Stevia (to sweeten), collagen (for skin, hair and nail growth), Gelatinized Maca Powder (for sexual health and hypothyroidism support).
- Brew with French Press Coffee Maker
- Small coffee bean grinder if you like to buy whole bean coffee
- Standard high speed blender
How to Make Bulletproof Coffee
- Boil water on stove and stop at a low boiling point — you don’t want scolding hot water.
- Add 2 1/2 tablespoons of freshly ground Bulletproof coffee into a french press
- Pour the hot water into french press over the coffee, stir, and let brew for 5 min
- When ready, strain the coffee and pour into blender
- Add 1-2 tablespoons Brain Octane Oil *If you are new to MCT, start with 1 teaspoon and increase from there.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, or substitute butter for ghee or cacao butter
- Add in any other optional ingredients listed above
- Blend everything together in a blender for 30 seconds until frothy
- Pour into mug or travel mug
- Drink hot
If you’re looking to learn more about the Bulletrpoof lifestyle, I highly suggest you start reading the Bulletproof Diet book, get a good nights sleep and try cauliflower bacon mash. Those 3 things alone have changed my life forever. Still want more? Check out this post from the Bulletproof blog.